The first graders on doing a PBL on penguins. They are very excited to learn all about these flightless birds.
Mrs. Lamoureux came in on Tuesday and Wednesday to teach the students about nonfiction text features and some important penguin vocabulary words.
The first graders had to decide if the penguin statement was a fact or an opinion.
The students have been reading books and using Pebble Go to help them research facts on penguins. They will pick one penguin to write their own informational text on. They can pick from the King penguin, the Emperor penguin, the Gentoo penguin or the Little Blue penguin. Please ask your child which penguin they chose.
The students got to see how penguin feathers help them survive in the cold water. Please ask them about this experiment.
The first graders got to feel what it would be like to have blubber. We made a blubber pocket using vegetable shortening, 2 baggies and duct tape. Please ask your child why blubber is so important to penguins.
- Spelling test will be on Friday.
- Please let me know if your child will be attending the Van Meter boys state basketball game on Tuesday.
- There will be new fluency passages and paper books sent home with your child on Monday.
- Monday - A - Art/Music, Tuesday - B- P.E./Guidance, Wednesday - C- Library/Technology, Thursday - A - Art/Music
- There will be math homework on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- Your child will get a new behavior chart on Monday. Please look at it every night and sign it.
- Our carnival basket theme is listed below.