Saturday, January 30, 2016

The 100th Day of School

It is hard to believe that we have been in first grade for 100 days.  

For snack on Wednesday, the students counted out 10 pieces from 10 different food items to make a delicious snack.  A big THANK YOU to those that donated the items.

The students worked in teams to create something using the 100 items that they brought in.  This is a picture of me!  :)


The first graders LOVE pattern blocks, so they used 100 of them to create something.  

The class did a tootsie roll pop experiment.  They had to predict if they thought it would take more than 100 licks or less than 100 licks to get to the center of the sucker.  We found out that it definitely takes more than 100 licks!

The first graders will be bringing home one of these bags on Monday.  This bag will have the four paper books that go with our reading lesson for that week and a reading passage.  I will also include a fluency rubric and a strategy card.  I want the students to read these books every night.  Your child will return this book bag on Friday and will receive an reward for reading every night.  

This is a picture of the reading log that will also be included in the book bag.  Please write down the titles of the books and passage that your child reads and you will sign it every night when they read.  This will replace the monthly reading calendars.  I realize that the students are on different reading levels, so you be the judge on how much they read.  I don't want this to be frustrating for the parents or the kids.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

  • Reading homework is due on Friday.
  • Spelling test will be on Friday.
  • There will be math homework on Monday and Thursday.  The first graders will review for their unit 6 math test on Tuesday and will take the test on Wednesday.
  • Yearbook orders are due Friday.
  • iReady parent reports were sent home on Friday.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the report.  Students can do lessons at home.  username is first name.lastname and password is ready123  iReady link
  • February snack calendar was sent home on Friday. The snack calendar is on the blogg too.
  • We have enrichment groups Monday-Thursday for 30 minutes.  These groups will be changing on Monday, so your child may come home and say that they are seeing a different teacher during that time.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this.  
  • I will be scheduling parent/teacher conferences this week for February 12th and 19th from 1:30 to 3:30.  I will contact you if I feel the need to meet.  Once I've contacted the parents that I need to, I will let the others know that we can schedule one if you'd like.  






No comments:

Post a Comment