The first graders have had a blast learning about penguins these last 2 weeks. Our penguin pals, Barb and Finn headed back to Antarctica. The first graders created a non-fiction book that will will be sharing with others. Some students made penguin illustrations and brochures.
The first graders did an excellent job researching on penguins. They used books, websites, and non-fiction passages.
Friday morning the first graders used padlet.com to share penguin facts. They were very excited to use this fun tool. My goal is to use it more to reflect on what they've learned that week.
We were able to Skype with a zoo in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on Friday. A big THANKS to Mrs. Miller and Miss Saylor for organizing this.
I think she was very impressed with our penguin knowledge!
This is a great photo of a barb. Ask your child what a barb is.
During enrichment this week, the first graders learned about Martin Luther King Jr. Above is a picture of one of the activities that we did. It was a fun way to get to know each other.
- Spelling test will be on Friday.
- Reading homework is due on Friday.
- We will be celebrating the 100th day of school on Wednesday. Thanks to those that have donated items for our snack that day. I sent out an email about donations. I think there are a couple of items left, so if you would like to check out the site and sign up that would be great.
- It is that time of the year when students need some more supplies. Your child is probably low on glue sticks, dry erase markers and crayons. Please ask them to see what they need.
- Click on the link for a spanish update from Mrs. Newell.https://sites.google.com/a/vmbulldogs.com/la-clase-de-espanol-senora-newell/2015-2016-spanish-1st---5th-grades
- There will be math homework Tuesday and Thursday.