The first graders did a variety of activities that were connected to the Polar Express book/movie on Wednesday. Thanks to those that donated items for our fun day.
The students have been working on subtraction this week. They played a new game called, The Difference Game. The first graders used pennies and number cards to figure out the difference between one another's pennies. We will be reviewing for the Unit 5 math test on Monday and the test will be on Tuesday. There will be math homework on Monday.
Our theme this week in reading was Ocean Animals. The kids had a lot of learning facts about the different animals that live in water. Ask your child what their favorite animal was and why.
Our class went down to Mr. Mendoza's class on Thursday to learn about MaKey MaKey ( an invention kit for the 21st century. Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet. It's a simple Invention Kit for Beginners and Experts doing art, engineering, and everything in-between), Sphero ( a kind of spherical robot toy designed by Sphero, previously Orbotix. It is a white orb wrapped in polycarbonate plastic, capable of rolling around, and controlled by a smartphone or tablet.)
, and LittleBits. Watch the video above to see how the students were able to move the Sphero.
- There will not be any spelling words this week.
- There will not be reading homework this week.
- The elementary students can bring in Christmas books to read and wear their pajamas on Monday, December 21st.
- Kid's Club is Tuesday, December 22nd at 2:00.
- Our class has earned another Pawsitive reward. The kids can bring in a stuffed animal on Tuesday, December 22nd. We will watch a movie and I will provide gum.
- Our Christmas party is Wednesday, December 23rd from 11:45-12:45.
- Students are dismissed at 1:30 on Wednesday, December 23rd.