Mr. Tibbetts read to all of the elementary classrooms on Wednesday this week. It was the World Read Day principal contest. He read his favorite book, The Great Fuzz Frenzy.
One of the activities that the first graders did in math this week was working with base-10 blocks. They made creations using ones (cubes), ten (longs), and hundreds (flats). They used tally marks to keep track of how many base-10 blocks they used for each creation.
Another math skill the first graders worked on was
Our reading theme for lesson 8 was music. We read an article and saw a diagram on how to make a drum. The kids wanted to make one in class, but we didn't have time or the materials. I told them I would put it on the blogg and they could make it at home if they wanted to.
The 3rd graders are doing a PBL to help the community. This will benefit the Goodwill's job training program and the Food Bank of Iowa's food pantries. Thanks to those that have brought in items. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.
Vocabulary words for lesson 9.
- Spelling test will be on Friday.
- Reading homework will be sent home on Monday and needs to be returned on Friday.
- The Penny Wars are still going on in the classrooms. The last day to collect is November 20th.
- There will be math homework Monday-Thursday this week.
- The first graders work on writing thank you notes in writing.