Our theme in literacy this week was art. The first graders enjoyed reading the book, The Dot. Thanks to Adam for bringing in a signed book and a picture of him and his brothers with Peter Reynolds. The students learned about idioms and when to use exclamation marks when they write.
We carried over the art theme to math. The students had fun this week creating art with pattern blocks. The art above was created by Seth. The first graders will start Unit 10 on Monday. They will have homework on Tuesday and Thursday.
In Enrichment, the first graders learned about the 5 Food groups. Ask your child if they can name a food from each group.
Here is a spanish update from Mrs. Newell.
I have received a lot of requests for the video we watched in class this week. It is called "El ratón Pablito". If students watch it several times, different days, not only will they recognize the vocabulary structures, they will begin to produce them spontaneously.
We had fun acting out the story with actors and props today. Here is the link to the video:
vmbulldogs.com/la-clase-de- espanol-senora-newell/14-15- elementary-spanish/2014-2015- newell
- Lesson 27 spelling test will be on Friday.
- Reading homework is due on Friday.
- The Elementary Carnival is Saturday, April 11th from 5-8 in the big gym.
- Puppy Dog Relays are Tuesday, May 11th. The first graders will only be competing in the morning.
- The first graders will be going to the Blank Park Zoo May 14th. The more volunteers we have that day, the better! Please let me know if you would like to go.
- Relate Arts schedule: Monday-Music, Tuesday-Art, Wednesday-Library, Thursday-Music