The first graders started building their stamina for Read to Self this week. They practiced reading the whole time, staying in one spot, and using a voice volume of 0. They were able to get up to 10 minutes. Read to Self is one of the 5 components on the Daily 5. The class also learned the 3 ways to read a book. Please ask your child what the ways are.
When the class is doing the Daily 5, they need to make sure they pick a good spot in the room to read. We read the book The Best Place to Read and had a discussion about what makes a good and a bad spot to read. The students came up with some great ideas and I know they will be picking a perfect spot for reading!
It is so important for our class to work as a team. We discussed what a great classmate is, does, says, and is not. The first graders came up with some wonderful ideas.
Our class has a "Clip Chart" that we use to to show we are Ready to Learn, making Good Choices, making Great Choices, or need to Think About it. Your child can also "Clip off the Chart" which means they are making A LOT of Great Choices at school. It is great to see the class being Respectful, Responsible and Safe and school.
- Please check out the google calendar for due dates, events and snacks.
- The first graders will be getting spelling list 2 on Monday and the test will be on Friday.
- August reading calendars will be due Tuesday, September 3rd. Please continue to read at home and fill out the calendar.
- Butter Braid order forms will be sent home on Monday. This is a Performing Arts Booster fundraiser.
- A Girl Scouts registration sheet will be coming home on Monday as well.
- Math homework was sent home on Friday, so it needs to be returned on Monday. There will also be math homework on Monday that will be due on Tuesday.
- Please look through your child's folder every night.