The 2nd graders have been working on the reading comprehension strategy questioning the last 2 weeks. They did a great job coming up with questions while we read books. They found out that sometimes their questions get answered and sometimes they don't. If students are asking questions about what they are reading, it means they are engaged and comprehending. Please use this strategy at home with your child.
The author, Buck Wilder came to Van Meter on Monday, October 29th to visit with our K-5 students. He shared with the kids how he started his series of books. He definitely got me motivated to read his books and I know a lot of the kids were excited too. Some of the kids dressed up in camo, fishing and hunting gear to get in the spirit of the books.
The 2nd graders have been learning about place value and how to represent ones, tens, and hundreds. You can see they are using their boards and manipulatives to show different numbers. Please ask your child how to write a number in expanded form.
600 + 10 + 4 = 614
Lola Sukow came to Van Meter on Friday to show us how to make our own butter. Each student got a turn. The students had a blast and learned a lot. A huge THANK YOU to Lola for taking time to visit and teach us about our past. It was delicious! There are pictures at the photo gallery of the kids churning the butter
- Spelling homework is due Monday, November 5th.
- Reading homework is due Friday, November 9th.
- There will be a Veteran's Day assembly November 9th for K-12 students. Students are asked to wear red, white, and blue.
- Reading party will be November 5th for those students that read at least 350 minutes.
- Picture retakes are November 7th.
- Scholastic book orders are due November 7th.