- The first graders had a blast on Thursday participating in the Puppy Dog Relays. It was so fun to watch them all compete!
- The Blank Park Zoo field trip was a success. A huge thanks to all of the parents that were able to go with us. We really appreciate it!
- The K-2 students signed up for a Passion project. They were able to pick from baking, pay it forward, science, health/fitness, community service, drama, finger weaving, and goose chase. Please ask your child what they liked about it.
- The first graders can bring in a drink (no pop) and a snack (no peanuts) on Monday.
- There will be no spelling test or math homework this week.
- If your child still has library books out, please have them returned to school by Thursday, or paid for.
- There will be a 1:30 dismissal on Thursday.
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Posted by DoggBlogg at 5:35 PM
Sunday, May 14, 2017
It was a beautiful day for the JDRF walk on Saturday morning. Thanks to those that were able to attend the walk and thanks to Luke's classmates for wearing their Team Luke shirts to school on Thursday to show their support.
- We are doing a count down for the last 10 days of school. Friday was stinky feet day and Monday is pajama day. Your child can wear their pajamas to school. Please let me know if you have any questions. I will send out an email each night so you are aware of what the activity will be.
- Spelling test will be on Friday.
- Our field trip is Friday, May 19th. Your child will need a sack lunch that day. Please let me know if you did not get the volunteer info sheet for those that will be joining us.
- The first graders will be taking lesson 29 reading test on Monday.
- Puppy Dog Relays will take place from 8:30-11:00. If you ordered a shirt, it will be coming home Monday or Tuesday. I will have a sub that day because I'll be helping out with the relays.
- Unit 9 math test will be taken on Thursday. We will review on Wednesday.
- I hope all the mothers had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Posted by DoggBlogg at 4:39 PM
Sunday, May 7, 2017
On Tuesday, the first graders talked about jobs in Junior Achievement. They each filled out a coupon for 1 job that they can do. Please be sure to ask them about it, but hopefully they've already used it.
Our class went to Mrs. Smith's class on Thursday to hear their animal presentations. The first graders learned some facts about sloths, owls, bees, and pandas.
Ella's dad was a WATCH Dog in our classroom on Friday. He did a great job helping with a variety of activities.
The JDRF walk is on Saturday, May 13th. Please check out the information below. You can also click on the link to the Team Luke's page. Please let me know if you have any questions. Go Team Luke!
- The spelling test will be on Friday.
- There will be no more fluency passages or paper books sent home.
- Puppy Dog Relays are the morning of May 17th.
- The Blank Park Zoo field trip is Friday, May 19th. Please let me know if you would like to go. There is not a limit on volunteers.
- Our class will take the aReading test on Monday morning.
- Monday - C - Library/Technology, Tuesday - A - Art/Music, Wednesday - B - P.E./Guidance, Thursday - C - Library/Technology
Posted by DoggBlogg at 3:13 PM
Sunday, April 30, 2017
The first graders did some measuring around the classroom. Please ask your child what they need to do when they measure something.
There will be math homework on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
The class learned when a word ends with a y, you change it to an i and then add the ending. We have also been talking about base words. Please ask your child what the base word is in funnier.
In Junior Achievement on Tuesday, the class learned about needs and wants. Please ask your child some of their needs and wants and share yours with them.
The May challenge for P.E. is limit that screen time. Please have your child return it to school by May 24th.
The Puppy Dog Relay shirt order form was sent home on Friday. You can order a shirt online until May 4th. The Puppy Dog Relays are Wednesday, May 17th. The K-2 students will be in the morning.
- Lesson 28 spelling test will be on Friday.
- Fluency passages will be sent home on Monday and are due on Friday. This will be the last week for this.
- Monday -B- P.E./Guidance, Tuesday -C- Library/Technology, Wednesday -A- Art/Music, Thursday -B- P.E./Guidance
- The Blank Park Zoo field trip is Friday, May 19th. Please let me know if you would like to go. We will be arriving around 9:00 and leaving around 12:00.
- The FAST schedule for the first graders will be Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday this week.
- The students will be finishing up the iReady reading and math diagnostic tests this week.
Posted by DoggBlogg at 4:40 PM
Sunday, April 23, 2017
The first graders worked on comparing and contrasting in reading last week. The discussed how the character in our story, Vashti was different from the beginning to the end and how she was the same.
In math on Wednesday, the first graders used the iPads to complete a Goose Chase outside and inside. They were looking for 2D and 3D shapes.
They had to take selfies and record videos with different shapes.
The first graders had their first Junior Achievement session on Tuesday. Please ask your child what they learned. Thanks to Luke and Sullivan's mom for teaching the lesson.
Noah's dad was a WATCH dog on Friday. The students thought it was fun to have him in our classroom.
- Spelling test will be on Friday.
- Lesson 26 reading test will be taken on Monday.
- There will be math homework Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- Monday A P.E./Art/Music, Tuesday B P.E., Wednesday C Library/Technology, Thursday A P.E./Art/Music
- Fluency passages and paper books will be sent home with your child on Monday. This will be the last week of paper books.
- Our class will start the iReady math and reading diagnostic tests this week.
- We are looking at Friday, May 19th for our Blank Park Zoo field trip. I will let you know as soon as we get it scheduled for sure.
Posted by DoggBlogg at 2:56 PM
Sunday, April 16, 2017
This week we discussed one of the properties of how light interacts with materials: some materials allow light to pass through them (“transparent,” or see-through), others do not (“opaque”), while others are only “kind of” see-through (translucent). We talked about how glass is an especially important material which enables us to have windows in our homes, windshields on our cars, eyeglasses, and more. One thing you can do to further encourage your child’s curiosity about this topic is to look together to find examples of translucent and transparent materials in your home.
The first graders made paper stained glass butterflies or flowers. We displayed them in our classroom windows.
The first graders learned about telling time to the half hour. There will be math homework on Monday and Tuesday. The 1st graders will take the Unit 8 math test on Thursday.
The JDRF walk is Saturday, May 13th at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. A big THANKS to Luke's mom for giving our class Team Luke t-shirts.
Check out the link below for more information on the JDRF walk.
- Lesson 26 spelling test will be on Friday.
- The first graders will take lesson 25 reading test on Monday.
- Fluency passages and paper books will be sent home on Monday.
- Monday C Library/Technology, Tuesday A Art/Music, Wednesday B P.E., Thursday C Library/Technology
- Puppy Dog Relays are Wednesday, May 17th. K-2 will be in the morning. If you would like to volunteer, please let me know.
- There will be a Destination Imagination Fundraiser for the 5th grade team that made it to the Global Finals. They will be going to Knoxville, Tennessee in May. If you can, stop in the Van Meter Elementary lunchroom on Saturday, April 22nd from 8-10. Enjoy breakfast comprised of breakfast burritos, fruit and pastries as you shop for Mother’s Day from several vendors, including:
- Pampered Chef
Young Living Essential Oils
Your donations and purchases will go toward the 5th Grade Destination Imagination team as they travel to compete in Global Finals in Tennessee! We appreciate your support!
Posted by DoggBlogg at 6:55 PM
Sunday, April 9, 2017
- Lesson 25 spelling test will be on Friday.
- There will be math homework on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
- The first graders will be learning about light in Science for the next 2 weeks.
- Monday -B - P.E., Tuesday - C - Library/Technology, Wednesday - A - Art/Music, Thursday - B - P.E.
- Puppy Dog Relays will be on Wednesday, May 17th. K-2 will be in the morning.
- The first graders did a great job performing Thursday night!
Posted by DoggBlogg at 2:52 PM